Monday, June 14, 2010

An interview with Janine Ashbless



As promised last night, here is the Q&A with Janine Ashbless. Just for fun, a commenter today will win a packet of Dwarf Bedding Mix!

1) Which fairy tale character would you most like to do and why?

You mean “Do” as in “Fuck”? Oh ... the beast, from “Beauty and the Beast.” Always has been. Handsome princes aren’t interesting enough.

2) If your fairy godmother or fairy godfather (I’m an equal opportunity fairy employer) waved a magic wand over your head and granted you three wishes, what would you be wearing during your wishing?

A horrible look of drooling anticipation.

3) What would you wish for?

Believe me: you don’t want to know. But let’s just say the world would be a quieter and less crowded place afterwards.
*twirls imaginary villainous moustache*


4) Do you own fairy wings? A little red riding hood? Glass slippers? If yes, please describe. Or send photos!

Sadly I put all that sort of thing into storage last year. I still have my moon-magic spell-book and a necromancy staff around somewhere, though. And some really horrible things in my attic...

5) What would you like to tell readers about your story in Alison’s Wonderland?

My story is called “Gold, on Snow” and it’s a retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Yes, exactly what you are thinking of. Yes, I did dare.

It’s my homage to the incomparable Angela Carter.


6) What fairy tale would you love to tackle in the future?

I think “Little Red Riding Hood.” Or “The Princess and the Pea.” But I’d need a strong and original angle before I started.

Janine Ashbless started writing erotica as a direct result of reading Angela Carter’s fairy story collection The Bloody Chamber, so writing for Alison’s Wonderland was a welcome return to her roots. She has written two collections of erotic fantasy/fairy/horror stories: Cruel Enchantment and Dark Enchantment, (both published by Black Lace), as well as three erotic fantasy novels. Folklore provides the source inspiration for many of her stories. She always asks permission from an elder tree before cutting it, just so the Elder Witch won’t get mad.

Thank you to Janine for giving us a behind-the-scenes peek.


XXX,
Alison

P.S. What a fabulous Poisoned Apple Button Bracelet! Aren't the colors divine?