Wednesday, June 16, 2010

An Interview with Sommer Marsden


For Alison's Wonderland, the ever-clever Sommer Marsden penned an amazing story called The Three Billys, which is getting mentioned in almost every review!

° My favorites were: ”The Three Billy’s” by Sommer Marsden, where a cranky librarian with the unfortunate name of Ms. Troll goes head-to-head with three repairmen named Billy...Dirty Sexy Books

° Marsden’s “The Three Billys” a steamy retelling of The Three Billy Goats Guff set in a library. Sex and books and cute construction workers, it was really good. I also like the novelty of it.Anna Marie's Corner

° In Sommer Marsden's The Three Billys, slightly repressed librarian Philomena Troll is surrounded by a surplus of lovely men named Billy when a repair crew invades her domain. But "Big" Billy Benjamin tempts her to stray from her routine.Romantic Times


I asked—and she answered—the following questions:

1. Which fairy tale character would you most like to do and why?

Hmm. That’s a toughie as most of the ones I remember involve animals and that’s just wrong. I’d have to say I was rather taken with Benjamin Eliot’s Sisyphus-esque character in this very book! I think I’d do him. Is that fair or did I just cheat on question one?

p.s. I’d totally go all big bad she-wolf on little red, too.


2. If your fairy godmother or fairy godfather (I’m an equal opportunity fairy employer) waved a magic wand over your head and granted you three wishes, what would you be wearing during your wishing?

I would totally have on a pair of well worn faded Levi’s, my distressed suede ankle boots I bought this past year (photos on my blog!) and a cream colored fisherman’s cable knit sweater. With my wild crazy brown/blonde/silver wavy bed head and some killer chandelier earrings that an ex boyfriend gave me. And oh! My big turquoise ring. Tada!

3. What would you wish for?

I would wish to be the unflappable, unruffleable, unshakeable, calm person who simply does not care what others think who does her thing without worrying. Instead of…you know, the spaz that I am.

4. Do you own fairy wings? A little red riding hood? Glass slippers? If yes, please describe. Or send photos!

I have offspring, I have all of those things in my house. But you mean in my own personal stash of dress-up? Nope. Not unless a nun or Wonder Woman fit in there anywhere. And I’m sorry, but I burned all the pictures.

5. What question would you most like to ask another author in the line-up?

I’m going to totally cheat (again) and steal your example question because I’d love to ask Shanna Germain, how’d she come up with the idea for her fabulous Rumplestiltskin-themed story!

6. What would you like to tell readers about your story in Alison’s Wonderland?

It’s like nothing I’ve ever written as far as inspiration. And I was never one for fairy tales but this was my favorite, favorite, favorite story. Mostly because I am weird. I felt positive I’d have to elbow my way to the front of the pack to get The Billy Goats Gruff as my story. But nope. Hunh. Go figure.

7. What fairy tale would you love to tackle in the future?

Gosh. Can I cheat again? Of course I can. I’d love to redo the mythology of Pandora’s Box. Again, not the answer I’m supposed to give. I think I need to be sent to detention.

Sommer Marsden is the author of Calendar Girl, Lucky 13, Base Nature and the upcoming anthology Coupling, among others. She writes for Ellora’s Cave, Excessica, Xcite and Pretty Things Press.

She also runs her own nearly invisible press Spastic Girl Press where she puts out small private releases and the recent Dirtyville Project. Visit her at SommerMarsdenl.blogspot.com or DirtyvilleCollection.blogspot.com. The admission fee to her blogs is the low, low price of three magic beans.

XXX,
Alison

P.S. The other image I wanted to use was this one!!!